Monday, February 21, 2011

LIVE from Mumbai

21st Feb, 2011
Malad/Nariman point
Mumbai.


the alarm rang at 6:00 am this morning and i opened my eyes.turning the alarm off i looked around the room, trying to remember where i was. everything looked different. and then i realised. everything Was different; i was in Mumbai. and this was my first morning.

i got up from the bedding with a smile and walked to the glass windows that cover an entire wall.i rolled the windows to one side and stared at the unbelievable view. it was early morning, the wind was blowing on my face and i could practically see the whole of Mumbai from where i stood. on the 10th floor, the world was a very different sight. sky high buildings stretched for miles and miles ahead of me. beyond the buildings were the faint shadows of hills, almost violet in the early hours of the morning. a sudden sound of beating drums shook me out of my daze and i saw a procession of jain priests on the street below.

i looked at my watch and realised i had been day dreaming for too long.

had a wash, bath, had my first mug of hot bournvita milk in b'bay and got dressed. said my prayers, wished my friends all the best for their first day at work and we left for the much dreaded local train ride.

we watched the first couple of locals whiz past us, as we looked at the crowd hanging from every inch of the train. we finally got onto the 3rd train and made our way into the ladies 1st class boogie. it was surprisingly empty and we learnt tht the ladies special had just gone which explained the fewer number of women. we hung onto the handle, mumbaiya style.got place to sit later and then it was almost empty by the time we reached my stop: Churchgate.

got off, had something to eat and then took a cab to Nariman point.

reached Jolly Maker Chambers II and stood infront of it in awe..it was massive.as i told someone, it seems grand enough to have the President walk out of it. it scared me.but again,my friends hugged me and wished me all the best and told me tht il do just fine.

dts all for today..more on the details of my first day at work in 'the city that never sleeps' later.


signing off.

PS: will add pics later.

1 comment: