Friday, June 10, 2011

New Beginnings






It's been a long long time. And I still have nothing really to talk about. I would have liked to say that with the beginning of a new phase of my life, everything's changed, everything's different. But it isn't so. Not at this very moment, that is. Maybe in time I'll be able to say that.

For those wondering what this new phase is, well, I have begun the 'working' phase. Now I'm a '23 year old working woman' and I'm not really sure if I like the sound of it.

I've started working at The Times of India in Ahmedabad as a copy editor cum news correspondent. Which means that I have, once again, shifted base to the city that I had come to love once upon a time.

Ok, so in this regard I would say that thing have changed. Because when I was here two years back, everything was different. I knew so many people and it made me want to stay here forever. But now it like staring over. And let me tell you that it's really not fun. I dont make friends as easily as I would like. I'm quiet as a mouse and shy as a...well..whatever creature is really shy..and that is so uncharacteristic of me..I'm living with a new person after staying with my family for 2 years since I was here.. I dont quite know how to describe what I'm feeling right now...so I'm not going to try.

As of now, I haven't done much at work. I started on the 8th and on the first 2 days, besides filling up forms and things I edited a few stories. Last night I sat with one of my colleagues to watch as she made page 6 and page 2. That was fun. A better word would be exhilarating. To watch the next day's newspaper being created right before my eyes was surreal. Like my friend said, I make tomorrow's headlines. I made one last night, and the feeling was great. As time goes on, I'll be making many many more. And maybe then I'll have lots more to write..


PS: never believe me when I say "I have nothing to say"

5 comments:

  1. Oh you would be great at it, I am sure. And believe me, when you get your first salary in hand, you would love the '23 year old working woman' tag! :) so relax and enjoy the feelings to the fullest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ! All the best. That's how beginnings feel, always. Even if it is your umpteenth beginning.But, frankly that's better. Then it gets too boring, doing the same 'exhilarating' thing day in and day out. Then it's time to make a new beginning ! All over again.That's life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ ashi- then i hope the salary moment comes soon :P but thanks so much girl! for everything!!!

    @ u.tensing- thank u uncle. it makes me feel better to know that this beginning feeling will come again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i guess u r understanding the pain of being an editor now...u wrote shorter thn u usually do:)
    Neways work a lot, earn a lot and spend a lot:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ shweta- hehehe..i guess i've improved, huh? but then, i said in the beginning i dont have much to say...mayb dts why i wrote shorter than usual. but yea...im realising the importance and pain of editing stories that are already well written..its hard...but m learning..and will surely follow the last advice :D

    ReplyDelete