Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Color Purple- review




THE COLOR PURPLE (1985) has been directed by Steven Spielberg and is an American period drama film. It is based on the Pulitzer Prize winning novel of the same name by Alice Walker. The film tells the story of a young African American girl named Celie who is constantly subjected to abuse and told she is ugly. It’s a journey of a woman from being silent, timid and invisible to a stage of self-actualization that transforms her into a happy, successful, independent woman. Starring Whoopi Goldberg as Celie, the role is played to perfection.

Besides the protagonist, there is also Oprah Winfrey, who plays the role of Sophia, a large, fiercely independent woman who befriends Celie and refuses to submit to whites, men, or anyone else who tries to dominate her. In one instance, she says, “All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my daddy. I had to fight my uncles. I had to fight my brothers. A girl child ain't safe in a family of men, but I ain't never thought I'd have to fight in my own house!”

It’s a film of female friendships as a means for women to summon the courage to tell stories, of racism and sexism, of slavery and oppression. The way the story unfolds is exceptional and over-whelming. The acting is plain and simple yet incredibly moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment